Practice Complaints Procedure

If you have a complaint or concern about the service you have received from the dentists or any other staff working in this practice, please let us know. We operate a practice complaints procedure as part of a NHS system for dealing with complaints. Out complaints system adheres to national criteria.

How to Complain

We hope that most problems can be sorted out easily and quickly, at the time they arise and with the person concerned. If your problem cannot be sorted out in this way and you wish to make a complaint, we would like you to let us know as soon as possible – ideally, within a matter of days or at the most a few weeks – because this will enable us to establish what happened more easily. If it not possible to do that, please let us have details of your complaint:

·         Within 6 months of the incident that caused the problem: or

·         Within 6 months of discovering that you have a problem, provided this in within 12 months of the incident.

Complaints about the treatment you received should be made to the dentist who normally sees you. Alternatively, you may ask for an appointment with Josephine Weir or Fergus McClafferty in order to discuss your concerns. They will explain the complaints procedure to you and will ensure that your concerns are dealt with promptly. It will help if you are as clear as possible about your complaint.

What we shall do

We shall acknowledge your complaint within 2 working days and aim to have looked into you complaint within 10 working days of the date when you raised it with us. We shall then be in a position to give you an explanation, or offer a meeting with those involved. In investigating your complaint, we shall aim to:

·         Find out what went wrong,

·         Enable you to discuss the problem with those concerned, If you would like this,

  •          Ensure you receive an apology, where this is appropriate,

·         Identify what we can do to make sure the problem doesn’t happen again.

Complaining on behalf of someone else

Please note that we keep strict rules of confidentiality. If you are complaining on behalf of someone else, we have to know that you have permission to do so. A note signed by the person concerned will be needed, unless they are incapable of providing this because of physical or mental illness or are a child under 16 years of age.

If you are still unhappy with the outcomes of their complaint or the way in which it has been handled then you may request an investigation by the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman:

Scottish Public Services Ombudsman
4 Melville Street
0870 011 5378­

The ombudsman will normally only look at a complaint if it has been through the practice